When healthy eating is the goal, it can feel as though there’s a lot of conflicting advice out there. So what should eat to stay healthy? According to “Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide,” healthy foods come from all food groups, but some have been shown to offer more nutritional benefits than others.
The article goes on to list healthy foods or recipe to cook ingredients that are beneficial in your diet. By doing so , you will naturally provide a balanced diet that contains all the vital nutrients and vitamins for good health.
Healthy adults should eat whole fruits instead of drinking fruit juices because whole fruits provide dietary fiber that helps promote satiety. Berries are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Berries may help prevent cardiovascular disease and lower the risk of some cancers.
- Among berries, strawberries rank first in total antioxidant content among common fruits and vegetables. They are mostly used as a cake decorative and in dessert recipes.
- The other top sources of antioxidants among commonly consumed fruits and vegetables include prunes, raisins, blueberries, cranberries, apples and pears
- It also provide dietary fiber which is shown to reduce blood sugar spikes after eating and may also lower cholesterol
- They are a good source of vitamin C, folate, potassium, copper, manganese and B vitamins. It can be incorporated into many dishes including desserts, smoothies, salads or eaten on their own. They are not only delicious but also nutritious!
Vegetables are vegetables and vegetables provide a lot of different nutrients in the body. People who eat vegetables in their diet can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, coronary heart disease and obesity.
- As one of the most well-known vegetables, broccoli has many health benefits that are often passed over. Broccoli is actually considered both a leafy green vegetable and an important source of nutrients by nutritionists.
- Another everyday food to eat is spinach, which is rich in nutrients and antioxidants which help prevent diseases and boost your immune system. Furthermore, many people regard spinach as a weight loss aid because of its appetite suppressant properties.
- Cucumbers also boast an assortment of health benefits that can boost your health and lower your risk for certain diseases and medical conditions. It may help lower blood pressure because they contain phytonutrients called cucurbitacins. Cucurbitacins relax blood vessels and therefore reduce your blood pressure.
Yogurt is a fermented dairy product that consists of yogurt cultures growing in milk. It has many health benefits, being very easy to digest and ideal for people with lactose intolerance. The beneficial bacteria it contains aids in the digestive process and supports immune system function.
Due to yogurt’s benefits, it is recommended in a healthy diet. It may be beneficial for different health issues such as obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Furthermore, yogurt has been shown to help control blood sugar levels in diabetics and benefit fertility rates. Few yogurt included recipes that can eat everyday are banana smoothie, naan (flat bread), mango smoothie and much more.
Fish and seafood are extremely popular among food lovers. Whether it is fish, shrimp, or crab meat, everyone loves sea food. Many people wonder what fish tastes like because fish has a strong fishy smell to it. However, fish actually tastes very good if cooked properly.
One of the best fish to eat everyday is salmon. It contains vitamin B12, selenium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and choline. Salmon is the only source for DHA Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s can help prevent cancer by triggering apoptosis (natural cell death) in cells that have become cancerous or pre-cancerous through genetic mutations. It can slow tumor growth and suppress inflammation in the body.
So what’s the best way to go about eating healthy foods? The answer is simple: change up your recipe ideas every once in awhile! If you always stick with just one type of food than sooner or later you’re going to start feeling sick and tired of it just because you are not acquiring enough nutrients level.
You may also like to know about low calorie and high protein foods