There are a lot of recipe questions that people have about food and recipes. In this section of frequently asked questions, We dive into the “most Googled food questions” and provide expert answers and tips to help you become a pro in the kitchen. From boiling eggs to cooking the perfect turkey, we’ve got you covered!
How to Boil an Egg
Boiling an egg may seem like a simple task, but getting the timing just right can make all the difference. To achieve the perfect boiled egg, start by using a small pan of simmering water. Make sure there’s enough water to cover the eggs completely. You can use a spoon to lower your eggs.
For soft-boiled eggs, cook for approximately 3 ½ minutes for medium or 4 minutes for large eggs. If you prefer hard-boiled eggs, cook them for 8-10 minutes, depending on their size. Once cooked, drain the eggs and cool them quickly under cold running water to prevent a black rim from forming around the yolk. Crack the shell and peel when ready to serve.
“It’s a straightforward process, if you get the timing wrong, you’ll end up with an egg yolk that’s runnier or harder than you expected.” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cook Asparagus
Asparagus is a versatile vegetable that adds a delicate flavor to various dishes. To cook it properly, start by cutting the spears about two inches from the stalk end. Place them in a large pan of salted water, ensuring they sit in a single layer. Cook the asparagus for approximately 5-8 minutes until tender.
“Asparagus is a versatile ingredient, and adds a delicate flavour to a variety of dishes.” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cook Steak
Cooking steak to perfection can elevate a meal from good to extraordinary. To achieve the ideal steak, follow these steps:
- Remove the steak from the fridge about half an hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
- Pat the steak dry with kitchen paper.
- Instead of oiling the pan, oil the meat itself.
- For medium-rare to medium steak, cook each side for approximately two to three minutes. For well-done steak, cook each side for about five minutes, turning down the heat once it reaches medium-rare.
- Allow the steak to rest for a couple of minutes before serving to allow the juices to reabsorb.
“Steak isn’t cheap, so ensuring it’s cooked perfectly is the key to a good meal.” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cook Roast Beef
Roast beef is a classic dish that requires careful cooking to achieve a tender and flavorful result. Follow these steps for a delicious roast beef:
- Remove the beef joint from the fridge an hour before roasting and pat it dry with kitchen paper.
- Brown the joint in a frying pan if it’s small, to give it caramelization without overcooking.
- For larger joints, blast them in the oven at a high temperature for 15 minutes before lowering the heat.
- Calculate the cooking time based on the weight of the joint and use a digital thermometer to check for doneness.
- Rest the roast beef before slicing and serving.
“Remove your beef joint from the fridge an hour before roasting, patting the joint with kitchen paper to dry, and ensuring it’s well seasoned.” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cook Pasta
Pasta is a staple in many kitchens, and mastering the art of cooking it to perfection is essential. Come and try these easy steps for perfectly cooked pasta:
- Boil fresh pasta in salted water for no longer than 5 minutes.
- If using dry pasta, follow the package directions.
- To amplify the flavour, add a sufficient amount of salt to the boiling water.
- To keep the pasta from sticking together, stir it occasionally.
- It should be al dente, which means it should be somewhat chewy.
“For a good Italian style pasta, we have to boil the fresh pasta in salted water for 4 minutes” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cut a Mango
Mangoes are delicious, but their hard cores can make them tricky to cut. Here’s a simple method to cut a mango:
- Cut lengthwise down the mango on either side of the flat stone, as close to it as possible.
- Make shallow cuts with a criss-cross pattern.
- Push the skin upwards to expose the flesh.
- Enjoy the juicy mango flesh!
“Thanks to the hard core, mangos are actually quite tricky to cut. We actually do it by cutting lengthwise down the mango, as close to the flat stone as feasible.” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cook Rice
Rice is a versatile grain that can accompany various dishes. Follow these steps to cook fluffy rice:
- In a saucepan, combine long grain rice, a bit of salt, and twice the amount of water.
- Bring the water to a boil, cover the pan, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook the rice without uncovering the pan for around 15 minutes to allow the steam to do its work.
- The rice is ready when it’s tender, and steam holes appear on the surface.
- Fluff up the cooked rice gently with a fork to separate the grains and prevent sticking.
“Combine long grain rice, a bit of salt, and twice the amount of water in a saucepan as mentioned earlier. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to low.” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cook a Turkey
Cooking a turkey can be intimidating, especially during festive occasions. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you cook a succulent turkey:
- Remove the turkey from the fridge an hour before stuffing to let it come to room temperature.
- Spread softened butter all over the breast, legs, and wings of the turkey. Layer bacon rashers over the entire bird to add flavor and moisture.
- Calculate the cooking time based on the weight of the stuffed turkey, allowing 30-35 minutes per kilogram.
- Line a roasting tin with foil, covering the turkey. Remove the foil for the last 45 minutes of cooking to ensure a golden brown skin.
- To check if the turkey is cooked, insert a fork into the thickest part of the thigh and check if the juices run clear.
“Remove the turkey from the fridge an hour before you stuff it to let it come to room temperature. Once stuffed, spread softened butter all over the breast, legs and wings, layering bacon rashers over the entire bread of the bird.” – Recipe to Cook
How to Cook Red Cabbage
Braised red cabbage is a delicious side dish that pairs well with various meals. Use the following steps to cook flavorful red cabbage:
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Add shredded red cabbage to the pan and cook for a minute or two on medium heat.
- Add vegetable stock, salt, pepper, and sugar to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid for the final 10-15 minutes to allow the juices to evaporate.
- Get creative with flavors by adding onion, thyme, rosemary, or spices like juniper, allspice, or star anise.
“To prevent the colour from running, red cabbage should be braised rather than boiled. In a big pan, heat a tablespoon of oil, then add one large shredded red cabbage and simmer for a minute or two on medium heat.” – Recipe to Cook
Google has become our go-to resource for finding answers to our food-related questions. From boiling eggs to cooking the perfect turkey, the internet is filled with valuable tips and tricks to help us become more confident in the kitchen.
By following the expert advice provided in this article, you can master these popular culinary techniques and impress your family and friends with your cooking skills. So the next time you have a burning food question, remember to turn to Google for guidance!
If you have any other questions, be sure to ask our culinary expert or contact recipe to cook directly through our contact form.
Happy cooking days!